Tuesday, August 21, 2007

How Do We Treat People?

I am FINALLY feeling better after a whole bunch of time spent in the bed. I ventured out of my house early this evening, just to go over to a friend's for dinner & hang out for a short bit, only to find that my Jeep was sitting kinda lopsided. Why, you ask? Because I had a flat!! DAGGUM IT!!!! GRRRRRR!!! I couldn't change a tire if someone put a gun to my head, so of course, I called my brother. He works in Anderson, so there wasn't any hope of him getting to it until after dark. So, my friend swung by & picked me up. Thank you girlie . . . love ya, love ya, love ya!!! The tire is now changed & all is well with the world, where that's concerned. It was nice just to get out of the house for a little while & look at walls other than mine.

I think I'm on the road to recovery now. I still have almost 5 days of antibiotics left, so that's a good sign. All of my tests (for mononucleosis) came back negative. HALLELUJAH! I didn't really think that's what was up with me, but the doctor wanted to be sure. At least I have a doctor now that actually cares & takes the time for me. I think I just have a rotten immune system & I just got bogged down & couldn't get better before something else hit me. I hate that I'm this way, but I am who I am, I suppose. The doctor put me on an additional medicine for my allergies & pulmonary issue, with hopes that it will ward off a lot of those problems. Here's hoping!!

I read a bunch of different blogs every day. There is a church in Anderson called NewSpring. Perry Noble is the pastor there. He actually spoke at my home church many, many years ago. The church I attend now, Marathon North, visits there from time to time, for ideas in growing our church (since it is still a "new" church). I read Perry's blog every day & he is just such an inspiration!! Check it out if you get the chance at Perry Noble's Blog. I read several of the staff members of NewSpring's blogs, as well. I read a great post tonight that I wanted to share. Check it out at Alden Ellis' Blog.

The way this lady explained her feelings about NewSpring is just how I feel about Marathon North. And, I couldn't agree more with what Alden says - - - "God help the church that is more welcoming to people with 'bigger' wallets. People notice how they are welcomed into the church and the underlying reason you greet them the way you do."

I haven't been attending Marathon very long. I've gotten involved the "backwards way," as I call it. Usually, people come to church & then get involved socially, etc. I've done just the opposite. I started going to the Women's Bible Study in the Spring and got to know a wonderful group of ladies through that. I have since started attending the Girls' Nights Out that they do once a month. They are always a BLAST!!! I have gotten involved with a Home Group, as well. For those of you who don't know what Home Group is - - - it's basically like Sunday School, but more relaxed & is held in someone's home. We have about 20-25 people in our group and it consists of people of all ages & from all walks of life. We usually get together every other Sunday at someone's house. We ALWAYS eat (and eat well) and socialize. Our leader is Bert - - - he is a wonderful man & he always does the lesson. These people have become like an extended family to me.

I feel more a part of this church in the short period of time (less than 6 months) I've been involved than at the church I grew up in. And, that's terribly sad!!! Don't get me wrong - - - there are some wonderful people in my home church & I don't refer to them when I say that. But, it's the church, as a whole. I'm still a member of this church, yet I never get any contact from anyone. And, probably haven't in well over 5 years. In that period of time, I've lost a grandmother and went through the tragedy of my daddy's illness & death. No card, no call, NOTHING!!! I can't tell you how much that hurts!

I now know that I am a part of a church that cares. There will always be people who you don't necessarily like or agree with. There will always be "fake" people everywhere you go. But, I know that the church, as a whole, is genuine, caring & loving. That's an awesome feeling! Just today, I received a card from a lady, who's going through quite a bit herself. She took the time to send me - - - little ole ME - - - a thinking of you/get well card. That meant so much to me!!!! I'm very excited about getting more involved with Marathon and where God is leading the church. And, even more excited to see where I fit in with His plan for the church.

I just had to share that because it's something that's been on my mind for a while & Alden's blog just hit the nail on the head tonight.

Hope all is well in your corner of the world. Until next time . . .

No comments: